Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hexies by Halves Quilt-Along Starting July 8th

***Google Reader is going away as of July 1st.  Please follow me on Bloglovin', Facebook, and/or Pinterest so you don't miss a post.***

I'm so excited!  I'm hosting my first Quilt-Along soon is in progress!  You can find the lessons we've done so far here:


 I just love quilts that are easier to make than they look and this is definitely one of them.

Hexagons are really poplular these days and by making them large and by halves, this quilt sews up really quickly and is modern and timeless all at the same time.

The pattern is easy enough for beginners to quilting and will be fun for experienced quilters as well.  All you'll need are the basic quilting supplies...a rotary mat & cutting, and your sewing machine.


We'll be starting July 8th with a post about fabric selection, although you can definitely start browsing your favorite fabric shops early to get an idea of what you like.  (Most of my black and white fabrics came from here.)  Scraps could also work well for this.  Then I'll give you two weeks to find or order you fabric and we'll get started with the cutting and sewing of the quilt.

I've made two of these quilts so far...one for the retiring principal from our high school and the other for a fundraiser for Histiocytosis.  Our school/town colors are black and gold, so I thought this was pretty classy way to pay homage to the school while still being something that is stylish.



You'll want to be sure to sew along with us, because the directions will be available for free for only a limited time.  A week or two after the quilt-along is over I'll be taking the directions off my site, and they will only be available in my shop for purchase.

If you're planning to participate, please leave a comment on this post or send me an email.  Of course you can follow along without signing up too.  It's just nice for me to know who's planning on joining us.  I'd love it if you would also pin this to Pinterest and/or share on Facebook or other social media so more people can join in the fun.

So feel free to grab a button for your blog to let others know about the quilt along.  Mark your calendars.  (Just copy and paste the code from the box below.)

If you'd like to review the other lessons, you can find them here:

Please show my sponsors some love...
Tuxedo Collection Fabric Bundle - From Sisters and Quilters
Create You Own Fat Quarter Bundle From Sisters and Quilters
This Way and That with Cat in the Hat Quilt KIT- From Sisters and Quilters

19 comments:

  1. I really want to do this. I hope my life settles down just a bit so I can make some time to make a quilt like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning on joining in. :) I have to make sure I finish a few other things before I start, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to do this! I think I will have time in July. My scrap box definitely needs to be cleaned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you're photography is so great! Especially love that last pic with the quilt in the mailbox. Love the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know that I'll be quilting ALONG, but I will be taking notes for when the motivation strikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan to join this! I made a jean hexie quilt that just about killed me off. I sewed full hexagons together top to bottom in long strips, then sewed those together. At every 3-seams-meeting corner I wanted to cry or bang my head on the table. Seriously. It was bad. Turned out fine, but lots of sewing meltdowns along the way.

    So--I heard you say "easy", right? :) Please teach me a better way! Please. I will be so grateful (as will my family!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited to sew along with all the other lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like so much fun, I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome! I'm always amazed at the creativity of quilters. I would love for you to share it here http://www.theprincessandhercowboys.com/2013/07/on-display-monday-8.html

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Id love to sew along with you guys! I was actually looking for ideas for my halloween charm packs, this looks like a winner! Is it ok if my hexies are made from 5"? I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a lot of fun! I'd love to join in. Can't wait to hear the fabric requirements so I can get shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is beautiful! I am tempted to join. I'll have to get approval from the hubby first, though, since I would want to make it for our room. What size is this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I am so loving the hexagons lately, too. I'm not a quilter, but I totally want to use this design with a paper project for my kiddos. Yours turned out so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your quilting! Not sure if I'll join you though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! This looks great! I'm still working on another quilt at the moment, so I probably won't join in right away, but I'm still excited to follow along so I can attempt it in the future! What size is this?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do I need to start another project? Hell no. But I want to, so I'm going to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I am late starting (just found your blog today). How long will the tutorial be available?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.