Monday, February 6, 2012

Pi in the Oven Pregnancy T-shirt - Freezer Paper Stencil Pattern Included

This post goes out to my sister, Kendra.  Not because she's pregnant or would wear either of these...but because she's been asking for pictures of my pregnant belly.

Pin It

I made this back in October, but never got around to posting it.  I'd picked up a few cheap maternity T-shirts at Goodwill and wanted to dress one up.  I mostly just wanted a nerdy variation on the "Bun in the Oven" shirts that I've seen.  I didn't realize at the time that my c-section would be schedule for Pi-Day itself.  (For those of you who are not part of a family of math/science nerds...Pi Day is March 14th or 3-14...which is as close as a date can get to 3.14 which is the decimal approximation of the number pi.)  I'm not-so-secretly hoping that this baby will make his debut at least a day or two before Pi-Day.  If he is born on Pi-Day that will virtually guarantee no more Pi-Day celebrating at this house...because after all if you've got to choose between celebrating Pi-Day or your child's birthday, the birthday will win every time.  I do need to make him his own little Pi-Day shirt to wear because whether it's his birthday or not, he should arrive in time to wear it.

Updated to add:  I've got our baby's Fresh Baked Pi-Day onesie ready for him...you can get the pattern for it here.



Anyway, I've mainly been waiting to post the pattern until I got some good pictures of the shirt, which never happened, so you'll just have to settle for these.  I just don't have one of those cute little pregnant bellies like some girls get.

I'm just thankful to be pregnant though, so I don't really care if I have a cute belly or not.

Sorry they're all headless shots...but it's really hard to get good pictures when you're taking them yourself in front of a mirror.

True story...the day I took these pictures, I wore the shirt all day, including to the grocery store.  The checker looks at my shirt and asks, "Does that say 'Pi in the Oven'?"  I told him it did, and he asked where I found a shirt like that.  I told him I made it...that we're math nerds...and mentioned my husband is the science teacher.  (It's a small town...this is one of four or five checkers who work at the store.  We see him all the time, and he's a nice guy.)  He said he thought he knew who my husband was and that he thought it was a neat shirt.  Then a couple days ago my husband went to the store and had the same checker.  The checker says to my husband..."Hey, was that your wife with the Pi-shirt?..." So I guess now I'm known as the Pi-shirt lady...nice.

If you're nerdy enough to want a shirt like this, but maybe not the notoriety of being the "Pi-shirt lady" in town, you could also just go with something a little more classy like one of these.

It's the Pi Necklace from Boutique Academia...and I love it.  Of course the pendant is the best part, but I also love the adjustable cord it comes on because it makes it easier to match the neckline of whatever I'm wearing.
It's simple enough to go well with my nerdy Pi in the Oven T-shirt...and classy enough to go with something dressier.

If you're interested in making your own T-shirt, I just used freezer paper and paint.  You can see my tutorial here if you're not familiar with it...it's really easy.

Click here for the Free Pi in the Oven Freezer Paper Stencil.




And if you love math enough to consider making a Pi in the Oven shirt, you'll definitely want to enter my current giveaway for a Pi Necklace from Boutique Academia.  The giveaway is open until March 18th at 12:00am.

Please show my sponsors some love...
Infinity Bracelet from Boutique Academia
Q.E.D. Necklace from Boutique Academia
Pi Necklace from Boutique Academia

29 comments:

  1. This is awesome! We are a bit nerdy in our house and I got a great chuckle out of this!!:) Great job! I can't wait to show my "nerdy" husband;) Maybe then he'll want to have another kid:) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, Polly. I love all the variations of pi shirts at your house. And if Mr. Baby does arrive on pi day, he'll just have to get used to birthday pie over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute shirt! I may need to make one for a friend who is due in March and is a math professor. I love pi day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I wish my husband and I were nerdier so we would know and think of fun nerdy things like this... Instead, we are wannabe nerds. Yup, I just said that out loud :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polly, you are so wrong, if I were ever pregnant again, I would totally wear the t-shirt. But I do love the prego belly! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SOOOOOO cute! It's a fantastic idea! I definitely think I'll be making one of these : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! If my SIL ever decides to have a baby I will make her this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! How cool that the baby happens to be due on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun shirt! You are so creative! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is super cute! I love it!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-party-week-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic shirt! I love the bit about the grocery story checker... pi shirt lady, thats funny :) I love your designs, they are always so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both the necklace and the shirt! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the nerd aspect of this - I would totally wear this shirt!

    www.onedogwoof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is freakishly cute and a pi day baby also that's so crazy I would love you to add this and any other posts you want to show off to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to remember this for the future babies of my fiance and I. He is a pi-day birthday and MUST HAVE PIE (no cake allowed!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That shirt made me giggle. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is sooo totally awesome! Ive got some pi in the oven right now, so Im printing and then painting my new shirt!! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY GOSH! My daughter was born on "pi" day and I NEVER REALIZED IT TILL NOW! (also my youngest brother!) I am totally incorporating "pi" into her birthday for the rest of her life! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting story! I've never heard before about Pi -day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So stinkin' cute! I'm your newest follower. Stop by www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/02/potty-time-song.html to see what you'll be in for in two years. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love this! I pinned it so I'd remember if I decide to have one more little.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing at my party! I'll be featuring it tonight on my Sunday Spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the sweetest, cutest thing ever!!! I love geek chic and anything that incorporates math symbols in a cute way always gets my attention! ;)
    I'll be featuring this on my blog this week if you wanted to swing by and grab a button :)

    -a math teacher @ urbanejane.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is adorable! Baby bellies are so cute anyway, but this just makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is sooo cute!! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you back next Saturday with more fun ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is SO awesome! My son and I exchange names of pies when we say goodbye because we love each other infinitely. I will have to make this when any grand babies are expected.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.