Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Valentine Shirt for your Book Lover - More Distressed Freezer Paper Stencilling


I thought about titling this one "The Ramona" Shirt, because I think it looks a lot like Ramona.  I started out trying to make sillouhettes that look like my girls...and since they ended up looking Ramona-like...I guess that answers the question of whether Sweet Pea looks like Ramona or not.


Anyway, after making Little Brother's Car Heart Shirt, I figured I should make something for the girls.  Again, I wanted something they could wear all year long and not just in February.  We're really proud of Firecracker and her hard work in reading this year, so I wanted to play that up a bit...

...and of course Sweet Pea Loves books too. 

She really loves books.

I did some image searches, but couldn't quite come up with one that was what I wanted, so I used several and changed up some things to make it work in two tones.  After I'd made Firecracker's, I shortened the hair a bit to come up with Sweet Pea's version.  Both shirts were hand-me-downs from friends...one with the tags still on it.  Both templates are included at the end of this post.

(This stencil was done on a cotton/polyester blend shirt and ended up with a more distressed finish than Firecracker's shirt which was done on 100% cotton.  I suggest using all cotton, but I was just going with what I had on hand.)

Freezer Paper Stenciling is really easy...way easier than I realized, or I would have tried it sooner.  You start by drawing or printing your design onto the papery side of freezer paper.  Then use a good pair of scissors or a razor blade to cut out your design.

Iron the freezer paper with the shiny side down onto your shirt.

Make use to check all the edges to see that they're sealed well.  (You don't want paint to get underneath.)

Then use a stiff brush to blot the paint on.  Most people use fabric paint.  I haven't made it to the store to get fabric paint since I fell in love with freezer paper stencilling...so I use regular acrylic craft paint.  Acrylic craft paint will be totally permanent, but it gives the finished shirt more of a distressed look.  I've also found that you don't want to put the paint on too thick, or it can end up looking really distressed.

Once the paint dries, pull off your stencil.  (This is the funnest part!!)

Iron over your design to set the paint.

Then wash and dry to get rid of the stiffness and the paint smell.  (You might want to be careful about showing the shirt to your little one before it's washed.  Sweet Pea had a FIT about having it washed before she could wear it.)  After it's washed it should look something like this...

Then go and take lots of cute pictures of your cute kids wearing their cute new shirt.

And keep in mind that if you want to get one good picture of three kids trying to show off their cute new shirts, that it will be nearly impossible...especially if your husband is on the phone and it's approaching naptime.  You're very likely to get a series of funny pictures like this:
(If you missed the stencil for the shirt Little Brother is wearing you can click here.)

The picture above is of course totally adorable and sweet and has all three in the picture, but doesn't show their shirts.

And this last one also has all three.  Sweet Pea was finally willing to come stand her place for the picture...after the other two were already wrestling.

If you make any shirts of your own I'd love to see them.

And if you make one of these shirts for your daughter, you really should read her the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary.  They're favorites at our house...especially Ramona the Pest.

And last, but not least...if you're still reading this...stay tuned for more details on our new shelves that will be appearing later this week.

Click here for the Free Girl Reading Book Stencil.

Click here for the Free Toddler Girl Reading Book Stencil.

10 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this! I want to stencil one for myself! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of freezer paper stenciling. Your shirts are adorable and I love the bookish stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! We LOVE freezer paper stenciling over here!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are way too cute. Thanks for sharing the stencil. I had no idea you could do this with freezer paper.
    Have you used freezer paper for finger painting? I made a post about writing letters on freezer paper with finger paint. http://beginningreadinghelp.blogspot.com/2010/04/writing-letters-with-fingerpaint.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! But when I tried it on my own the freezer paper doesn't adhere... Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your t-shirts! They are darling. Great idea for freezer paper stenciling. I have wanted to try it but haven't yet. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so cute! I got some freezer paper recently and both sides look alike to me, there is no papery side.....I guess I need to do some trial and error ironing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't thank you enough for sharing this stencil. The silhouette is perfect for my daughter who is graduating from kindergarten next week and can't stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome! I'm making this for myself...and I'm 26 :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.