Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Felt Sliced Onions - Felt Food Cook-Along Day 3


Just a note before we get started...if you're into making felt food (either the ones I'm sharing or other ones completely) scroll down to the previous post and link up your site so everyone can see it. I'll repost that same linky about once a week during the cook-along, so more people can see it and link up. Once you've linked up, the same links should keep showing.

Today we're moving on to sliced onions. These were inspired by this link (same one as the pizza crust and pizza sauce...don't worry we'll branch out more soon, but there are so many great ideas on this site!)

Materials:  Some white felt, a small bowl or plate for tracing, a sewing machine (or you could hand sew with a running stitch), scissors

  1. Start by tracing a small dish or bowl to make a circle.
  2. Fold in half.
  3. Starting at the fold, sew double arcs around the onion, about half way up and then turn around and sew back down.  Secure the ends of your thread each time you start a new arc (so each time you start or come back to the fold).   I used the freemotion foot mostly because I was having fun trying it out.  This would probably be even easier with a regular presser foot, or if you're hand sewing, you could probably get away with just sewing one arc with a running stitch.
  4. Cut your arcs apart and put them on your pizza.  (Each double arc should stay intact and make up one onion slice.)

Don't forget to check out the other felt food I've made:









 








3 comments:

  1. VERY neat! And it looks so easy!

    I've linked this post, your blog, and your felt-food cook along on my newest felt food post:

    NO-SEW Felt Cheese & Spinach Ravioli
    http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/01/no-sew-felt-cheese-spinach-ravioli.html

    I'm enjoying watching your pizza come together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The felt food craze hadn't caught on when my kids were young, but I know they would have LOVED playing with all the stuff that's out there now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to make these for my twin niece's birthday!! I found your blog through Pinterest. I will pin your posts correctly linking to the tutorials you've provided! Thank you!!! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.