Monday, March 12, 2012

Pinch Proof and Clover Shirts

I know I mentioned earlier when I shared our Clover Cut-Out Cupcakes and Clover Cut-Out Sandwiches that I'm not really that into celebrating St. Patrick's Day.  And really I'm not...but after this post you might not really believe me, because now I've gone and made shirts.

After having fun making a bunch of personalized nerdy baby onesies (which I still need to share), I was at Goodwill looking for some bright colored, plain onesies to have fun with.  (Colored plain onesies are ridiculously expensive in my opinion, but anyway...)

I saw found this little onesie at Goodwill.  It had a little embroidery thing on the shoulder and was otherwise plain.  I fell in love with it as a St. Patrick's day outfit for Anson.  I think I especially like that there's a little orange thrown in there, so it's not too cheesy-green.

Then I figured if Anson was getting a St. Patrick's Day shirt, the others should too.  And it turned out I had a green shirt that would fit each of them in my plain t-shirt stash.  (I know...a little ridiculous that I have such an extensive stash...I'm trying to work my way through it.)



The clover on Anson's onesie ended up needing to be a little bigger than I thought to cover the embroidery that was already there, but I think it turned out pretty cute.  I used old t-shirt scraps for the applique.  I was inspired by this design.  I used this picture for the four-leaf clover shape.  If you need directions for appliqueing with knit scraps, you can see my tutorial here.

And I think the little pants I made to go with his Little Pi Guy outfit coordinate well with this one too.

Becca got a matching clover.

For hers I cut the heart shape out, so her shirt shows through the heart.

Katie and Seth's shirts were inspired by these.  I made my own design by using Berlin Sans FB Demi font in 110 pt.  I used the same clover shape for the dot on the eye.  Katie's got clovers for the holes in the o's too.  Seth's just had a clover for the "i".  You can download my template for the Pinch Proof Shirt here.

I then cut the design out of freezer paper with a razor blade to make a stencil.  If you want more details about freezer paper stenciling, you can see this post.

And since I didn't have the energy to dress the kids up in their shirts, but to have a picture to post...you'll have to wait until St. Patrick's Day to see a picture of them actually wearing their outfits.



Pin It
Please show my sponsors some love...
Lucky You CU Clipart from Digi-doodle Doo
Handmade Buttons - Green - Set of 4 From the Red Kitchen
Pi Necklace from Boutique Academia


14 comments:

  1. "Pinch proof" and shamrocks with hearts - Polly, these are so cute. I don't make much of St Patrick's day either (probably why you don't), but I think these shirts are awesome. Anson is going to be celebrating 2 holidays in style before he's even one month old!! I agree that the orange pants are perfect with his shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! 'pinch proof' is perfect! I've never seen that before! what a mama! and with new baby in tow! I'm totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I am jealous of your extensive stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These shirts are pretty cute indeed. I like the one that you appliqued. Nice work. Best wishes. Linda

    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely love it. Very fun and creative... the pinch proof one is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! The "pinch proof" is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! I'd love for you to link it up to Crafty Cousins!

    http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-i-wore-sunday-week-7.html

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just popped in to follow from Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story. Love the shirts, esp. the pinch proof. Sooo cute! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the little shamrocks with hearts. So cute!

    justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shirts are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! Thank ou so much for linking to Handmade Tuesdays. I love these !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute tee's! I'm posting about the one I made tomorrow morning! Come & visit!!

    -Eva

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so adorable! Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll come back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.