Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sneak Peek: More Hexies and Dr. Seuss

This was meant to be a Saturday Sneak Peak...but I didn't get it posted in time.  I didn't think I'd get much sewing done this weekend because I've been scoring SAT essays over the computer.  Since I only do that for a few weeks a year and it pays pretty well, I generally focus on that during most of my "free" time...but Eric needed the computer to work on a project was up against a deadline, so I got some sewing in after all.

Another hexagon quilt...the construction of this one is a little different from the one I'm making for Anson (which still isn't done) and it sews up SO fast.  I'm really in love with it.  I promised to make some quilts for the raffle for an upcoming fundraiser.  I wanted one grown-up quilt and we decided to go with black and gold since those are our town/school colors.  All the black and white fabrics are some I've ordered from Sisters and Quilters a while ago (and have been hoarding) and the gold fabrics I picked up a couple different places.  I'm planning on writing up the pattern for this.  It's easy enough that I think anyone with basic sewing skills would be successful.  Anyone interested in a little quilt along?  I'll have more details soon.

And I wanted one to be something kids would get really excited about, and that's the Dr. Seuss quilt...which still isn't finished, but did get it's white border added this week.  (This is the This Way and That pattern from Sister's and Quilters.  Their pattern has a thicker patterned border, but I liked the simplicity with just white (and I might be hoarding the rest of my Dr. Seuss fabric.)

And I also got a back made and it's basted and ready for quilting.  It's just a simple white back, with the random leftover ends I had from each row of strip piecing.  I think it was just what the back needed to spice it up from boring to fun...and give my backing the extra width it needed to fit.

And if you've been looking closely, you might have noticed the last little sneak peek into a new direction I'm taking the blog soon.  Anybody notice?

I've got some more projects to show you soon...but probably not until the SAT project is done.

Please show my sponsors some love...
Tuxedo Collection Fabric Bundle - From Sisters and Quilters



Create You Own Fat Quarter Bundle From Sisters and Quilters
This Way and That with Cat in the Hat Quilt KIT- From Sisters and Quilters



I'll be linking to:
SixSistersStuff.com A Mommy Adventures Keeping It Simple abc buttonTip Junkie handmade projects giveaways make it wear it   Katie's Nesting Spot Photobucket Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party! abc buttonShibley Smiles Fresh Poppy DesignPoint of View: A Creative Collaboration,a creative collaboration,point of view,point of view a creative collaborationThe Girl CreativeOr so she saysSo I Married A Craft BloggerWIP Wednesday at Freshly Piecedseven thirty three

Pin It

20 comments:

  1. Love the hexies quilt. A pattern would be lovely. I want to make a few quilts, but don't really know where to start. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! Polly, are you really going to Pieces!?! Because I'm in the process of going to The Simple Stitch!! And then the retail shop will be "you keep me in STITCHES" - what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hexagon quilts always look so complicated. Would love to know how to make a simple one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower here. Found your link at Quilt Story. I especially love the colors/patterns in the fabric of the hexagon quilt. And of course, who can not love all things Dr Seuss?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love your Dr. Seuss quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do such a great job! I wish I could do that. I'd love if you'd like up to The DIY'ers: http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-diyers-and-some-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful quilts! I'm not quite brave enough to try hexies just yet. :)

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these quilts! They are fun and different. Fabulous fabrics :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to learn the secret of hexagon quilts. They turn out great! If you have a quilt-along, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm doing my first hexi, I love your colours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just realized I didn't post the other day when I read this. Love the hexagons in the black white and yellow. I bet that one sewed up super quickly. The Dr. Seuss one is really fun and any kid would love to have it. I would totally be in for a quilt along :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colours of the hxie. Very cheerful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love the hexie quilt! Great colors. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both so great! I'd LOVE to do a hexie quilt along! It's my favorite look, but I've always been intimidated because I thought it required a lot more skill than I have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous Dr. Seuss quilt! I haven't seen the balloon fabric before. I wish they sold more of it in local stores. I normally buy my Seuss fabric on Ebay. I need to check out that quilt kit from your sponsor. I love the new logo name and design! Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your hexie quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both of these will definitely be popular choices!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to learn how to do hexies, they're definitely on my bucket list! I'd like to see a tutorial :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love your hexagons - it's not a colour scheme I would have thought of but it looks so grown up and elegant - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.