Monday, April 22, 2013

Easy Monster Cake

Anson turned 1!  (Well, he turned 1 a month and a half ago, but I'm just getting around to sharing his cake now.)

We try to keep birthday for infants and toddlers pretty simple around here.



I wanted a cake that would be easy to make and since Anson is too young to choose his own theme, I browsed some ideas I had pinned to my cake board on Pinterest and decided to try this one.

I wanted Anson to be able to have fun with his cake without messing up the big one, so we made a small smash cake too.  These could also make fun cupcakes for a party.

I baked the cake in a Wilton Double layer pan that I have.  You're supposed to put some bake-even strips on the side to make it bake nice and flat...I left those off because I wanted the top to be nice and curved for the face.  (Without the strips the sides cook faster so they stay shorter while the cake continues to rise in the middle giving a nice dome.)  Once it was cooked and cooled I trimmed the dome a bit to make it even and covered the whole thing with frosting.

I made up one batch of frosting.  I put a little white frosting aside and colored the rest green.  Then I frosted the cake and added a bit more green food coloring to get a darker shade for the warts.

I thought about making my own black frosting, but I haven't had much luck with it in the past, so I just bought the black decorating gel.

At first Anson wasn't really sure what to think of his cake.

It looks like he's grabbing it here, but he chickened out at the last minute before he actually touched it.


 Wait!?!  You mean I can really touch this?!?
He just kept touching lightly and eventually started touching it harder.

 

And in the end decided it was delicious.



And a big thank you to Sarah from Mimi and the Boy
She made the adorable double-sided Bapron that Anson is wearing. 
Sarah makes cute stuff for kids and some fun aprons and skirts for you too.

You can check out her shop here.


I'll be linking to:
SixSistersStuff.com A Mommy Adventures Keeping It Simple abc buttonTip Junkie handmade projects giveaways make it wear it   Katie's Nesting Spot Photobucket Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party! abc buttonShibley Smiles Fresh Poppy DesignPoint of View: A Creative Collaboration,a creative collaboration,point of view,point of view a creative collaborationThe Girl CreativeOr so she saysSo I Married A Craft Blogger
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Your cake looks great and it looks like he was having so much fun he wanted to share :) Homemade birthday cakes are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling cake, darling boy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. first birthdays are so great! love the digging into the cake fun. :) love the monster!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.