Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Classy Yellow Valentines Cupcakes


I thought I'd take a little break from all the Harry Potter posts for those of you who aren't Harry Potter fans.

I have nothing against red and pink, but sometimes all the pink-and-red-goodness around Valentine's Day is a bit too much, so I thought I'd try something a little different.  (Okay, and maybe I also had extra yellow frosting left over from these.)  Of course you could whip one of these up in a more traditional color too and they'd be lovely.  I used Wilton food coloring gel...mostly yellow with a little orange added in to make it more golden.

I had some extra white chocolate left over from making the wings for our Golden Snitch Cupcakes, so I used it to make a few little hearts.  (Just melt it in your microwave on the defrost setting for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until it's all melted.  Then pipe out of the snipped off corner of a ziploc bag onto wax paper or a cookie sheet and allow to cool.



The pretty rose piping on top of the cupcake is really easy...in my few easier than spreading it on with a knife.  If you've never done it before, you can see this video.  My favorite buttercream frosting recipe can be found here.  The rose shape is pretty versatile.  You might remember when I turned it into a pumpkin for Halloween.


You can also get creative with your hearts and do something a little bigger.

Or serve some extras on the side.


(And as a side note...that's some of my favorite fabric I'm using as a backdrop.  It's waiting to be made into a quilt.  It's from the Tuxedo line by Riley Blake and can be found here from Sister and Quilters.)

Please show my sponsors some love...
Bombshell Apron from Mimi and the Boy
Patchwork Heart Painting on Canvas - From nJoyArt
Fat Quarter Bundle Pam Kitty - From Sisters and Quilters

I'll be linking to:
SixSistersStuff.com A Mommy Adventures Keeping It Simple abc buttonTip Junkie handmade projects giveaways make it wear it   Katie's Nesting Spot Photobucket Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party! abc buttonShibley Smiles Fresh Poppy DesignPoint of View: A Creative Collaboration,a creative collaboration,point of view,point of view a creative collaborationThe Girl CreativeOr so she saysSo I Married A Craft Blogger
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. Love Valentines treats especially the chocolate hearts. And love your backdrop too. Those Tuxedo fabrics are so versatile. Thanks for the link to the frosting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I saw the picture of these cupcakes in the Keeping It Simple link party and I just had to come over and look at your frosting! It is so perfect, it looks like fabric. The cupcakes are beautiful and look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.