Monday, December 10, 2012

Super Hero Shirt and Cape - Easy Kids' Gift

Katie got invited to a Super Hero party last week by a friend and neighbor.  All the kids were to report in super hero attire for their super hero training.  This was super easy to put together...and would make a great Christmas gift for your own little super hero.

Since Katie didn't have any super hero costumes and didn't want to wear any of Seth's (can't blame her), she came up with the idea of making a costume to coordinate with her eye patch.  Since we try to do as much as possible to make wearing her eye patch fun, I couldn't say no.  The eye patch is to help Katie's weak eye get stronger.  I ordered this one from Patch Pals.  They have a lot of cute options if your child needs eye patches.

Turns out we had a purple shirt her size and an adult size purple shirt in my T-shirt stash.  (Man, my t-shirt stash is happy.  The t-shirt bin is down at least 10 shirts this last week or two.)

The cape was super easy to make.  We basically cut out around the collar in the front to just over the shoulders.  (You want the collar to stay on because then your child can put the cape on by sticking their head through the collar.)  Then the cape also kind of looks like a necklace or choker in front.
Then I folded the shirt in half (so there's a fold down the middle of the back) and cut a slanted line to make a cape shape.  I used what was left of the front of the shirt to make the super hero decal to cover up the words that were on the back of the shirt.  I thought about sewing some pink bias tape around the edge of the cape...and it would have looked cute...but ultimately I decided to make it easier on myself and just leave it plain.


For both logos, we used a combination of freezer paper stencil and T-shirt applique.

I thought the purple skirt, purple tights, and pink sparkly shoes came together to really make it a fun costume.
Oh...and the pink and purple gloves, which I just happened to pick up a couple weeks ago.  They were going to go in her stocking...but they were just too perfect for this.

She couldn't quite fly on her own...

...so Seth and Becca helped a bit...

She'd been looking forward to this party all week.  I think looking forward to it was the most fun part of the whole thing for her.  She said it didn't disappoint...and was every bit as much fun as she thought it would be. 

I've included the diamond and lightening bolt image in case you want to make your own.  You could just add your own child's letter.  I used Brittanic Bold font, but you could have fun with something more adventurous.  (The image is in reverse because you trace them in reverse for applique.)

Looking for some other gift ideas?  Check out one of these posts:




Please show my sponsors some love...
Christmas Sticker Book - From Lisa @ Usborne Books
Anatomical Heart Pendant from Boutique Academia
The Real Santa - Art Print from Prints of Peace

I'll be linking to:
SixSistersStuff.com A Mommy Adventures Keeping It Simple abc buttonTip Junkie handmade projects giveaways make it wear it   Katie's Nesting Spot Photobucket Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party! abc buttonShibley Smiles Fresh Poppy DesignPoint of View: A Creative Collaboration,a creative collaboration,point of view,point of view a creative collaborationThe Girl CreativeOr so she saysSo I Married A Craft Blogger
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Even cuter than that cape is her PURE JOY at having something all her own - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! :) I have some capes on my christmas sewing list - I might re-visit this for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I can tell she's excited for it, and she looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute, and your daughter is adorable. She looks like she's totally into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that is SO adorable!!! Nice work mama! Thanks for sharing this at For the Kids Friday at SunScholars. I am featuring you at this week's party!! YIPPEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.