Friday, October 26, 2012

Spider in the Soup...S...S...S...

A couple years ago I posted about making Pumpkin Soup with Katie's kindergarten class.  Well, now that Seth is in kindergarten, it was time to make pumpkin soup again.  The reading program out our kids' school has a chant when they're learning about the letter S that goes "Spider in the soup...S...S...S..."

So pumpkin soup with spiderwebs is perfect...and funny for the kindergarteners.  We make pumpkin soup because it goes along with this cute book called Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper about three friends who have to find a way to work together and solve their problems to make pumpkin soup.  The teacher read the kids the book while I called them to the back of the room, a few at a time, to do a job helping to make the soup.  Then the soup cooks in the crock pot in the room and I came back a few hours later to serve it up for their snack.  I also brought bread sticks for each child to shape their own bread stick to go with the soup.

They're also super easy to make.

There are lots of pumpkin soup recipes out there.  This is the one I use.  This would also work great with tomato soup (which my kids like better.)

You start by putting sour cream mixed with a little bit of milk in a condiment bottle.

Make a swirl.

Drag a toothpick through it.

And you're done...

Except you still need to add the spider.
It's super easy.  Easy enough it takes about 5 minutes to do a whole class.
Your kids will love it...and this is one Halloween snack that isn't sugary!

But if it's sugar you want, this also works with pudding and cool whip.

And if you're planning on doing this with a class of kindergarteners, you might want to have them make bread sticks too.  Kindergarteners are not known for trying a lot of new foods, so this way they have something to eat if they don't like their soup.

And if you like that hot pad under the soup...it's for sale here...and I even reduced the price.

Please show my sponsors some love...
"What Shall I draw?" from Lisa @ Usborne Books

Happy School Year CU Clipart from Digi-doodle Doo
Set of 4 Printable Flashcards (PDF) - Alpha, #'s, Shapes, and Colors - From The Red Kitchen

I'll be linking to:



Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I love this Polly! So creative and I bet it makes the kids excited about eating the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polly! That soup is fantastic! I love love love the webs! Great idea- I still have never tried pumpkin soup. I guess it's time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea for soup! Thanks for sharing! I found you off of Making the World Cuter! http://moresisterstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute! what a clever idea.
    I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! so freaky!

    hugs ~ Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.