Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Shooting Star Bean Bags


This is one of those projects that evolved.  The plan started out that we were going to keep Firecracker's birthday party super duper simple...just cupcakes after school.  Then when she asked for an outer-space party, we figured we could throw a couple games in because Grandma had given Little Brother a set of Outer Space Bean Bags (inspired by these) and I figured we could throw together a bean bag toss game.


Then it occurred to me that a couple of shooting star bean bags would be easy and super cheap party favors.  (Note:  I originally had no plans to do any party favors.)  The shooting stars were inspired by these pretty ones I'd seen pinned from an Etsy shop.  I really needed to keep these simple though, so I figured a circle would be easier to sew.  After filling the bean bag with rice, I added a four ribbons of different lengths and sewed the opening closed.
Once the bean bag was sewed shut, I saved some time by gluing the felt star on instead of actually sewing it.
And that's it.  All the stars were gold, but I varied the color of the circle, so that each child had a different color and got to take home two.
And I was hoping for some pretty pictures of all the bean bags piled up and arranged in different ways, but if you read my previous post about the party snacks, you'll know that my all-day-at-home getting ready turned into at-the-doctor's-office-all-day with 1 hour to get ready.  Oh yeah...and I couldn't find my camera for half the party.  So lots of amazing pictures, I do not have...
...but we did have some very happy girls.  And besides being some great party favors to take home we used them for a couple of fun games during the party.

Win-Win

And if you're interested in details about the Solar System Quilt you see in the background of some of the pictures, you can find the pattern and details here.


Click here for some other fun outer-space ideas.

Please show my sponsors some love...
Rocket Ship Original Painting from nJoy Art
Faith in God Makes Me Stronger from Shirleen Bland's Art Studio
Carpe Noctem Necklace from Boutique Academia

I'll be linking to:
A Mommy AdventuresShow and Tell GreenMaking Keeping It Simple abc button PhotobucketTip Junkie handmade projectsPhotobucket giveaways make it wear it   Katie's Nesting Spot  Photobucket Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party! abc buttonShibley Smiles abc button Fresh Poppy DesignPoint of View: A Creative Collaboration,a creative collaboration,point of view,point of view a creative collaborationThe Girl Creative


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Great idea, Polly. They turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! Stopping over from seven thirty three.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable. They would be a great addition to my little ones' Easter baskets. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable and VERY clever!!! I'd love to have you share this with our readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays link up! http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/fun-stuff-fridays-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Do you ever sleep??? I am always amazed at everything you get accomplished! Thanks for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! My son is really into outer space right now AND he loves to sew, lol. :) He will have fun whipping up a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are soooo very cute! Thanks for joining us on our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you come back next Saturday. We would love to have you share more wonderful ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.