Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Easy Constellation Cupcakes - Space Party Treats

Last week, I shared the Star Cut-Out Cupcakes that I made for Firecracker's class for her birthday.  Normally I would have made the same ones for her birthday party (She asked for a Space theme.)...but I thought of these Constellation cupcakes first and loved the idea.  Firecracker had originally asked for a planets/solar system themed cake and the thought of trying to make all those colors of frosting and swirls made me feel tired.  (I pinned quite a few different solar system cakes/cupcakes on my Cakes and Parties Pinterest Board if you're interested, though.) Then when I thought of these constellation cupcakes, they'd be a perfect (and easy!) fit for her party.   (I'll be sharing the rest of the party snacks in a few days, so be sure to check back.)
Pin It
When I thought of the Star Cut-Out Cupcakes later, I wanted to try both.  (You know I have a hard time turning down an easy cupcake idea.)


Anyway, since I was able to use the same frosting for both sets of cupcakes, it really wasn't any harder to decorate these a little differently.  In truth, these were actually faster per cupcake to frost...but there are several reasons why I think those Star Cut-Out Cupcakes are especially good for a group of school kids...you'll have to go to that post to see why.

Anyway...I didn't take process pictures of these because it was already sometime around 1 am...and I needed to get to bed.  It's super simple though, so I'll talk you through it.



You start with making your frosting.  For the night sky, I was originally going to use black.  The chocolate frosting I made tasted delicious, but looked horrible after I tried coloring it black, so we used that for graham cracker's instead.  I started over with regular butter cream frosting.  I colored a bit of it yellow and the majority of it blue.  To get this nice night sky color, I used approx. 2 parts Wilton Sky Blue and 1 part Wilton Purple to get this color.

I used a large-ish open star tip to pipe the blue frosting onto the cupcake.  (I used a 1M Wilton tip, but the exact size really doesn't matter...and you could use a different size or shape tip just as easily.)  You basically frost it as if you were making a "rose cupcake."  You start in the middle and swirl around until the cupcake is full.  (There's a video at this link for how to do that if you're not sure.)

Then I used some of these simplified constellations as a reference for putting the stars on with a small star tip. 

The kids loved them and had fun figuring out which constellation they had.

If you've got a budding astronomer at your house, I'll be sharing more details from Firecracker's outer space party in the next week or two, so keep checking back.  You can also see past outer-space themed posts here.

You can see some of the other fun and easy cupcakes we've made here.

Please show my sponsors some love...
Rocket Ship Original Painting from nJoy Art
Faith in God Makes Me Stronger from Shirleen Bland's Art Studio
Carpe Noctem Necklace from Boutique Academia

I'll be linking to:
A Mommy AdventuresShow and Tell GreenMaking The Girl Creative  Keeping It Simple abc button PhotobucketTip Junkie handmade projectsPhotobucket giveaways make it wear it   Katie's Nesting Spot  Photobucket Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party! abc buttonShibley Smiles abc button Fresh Poppy DesignPoint of View: A Creative Collaboration,a creative collaboration,point of view,point of view a creative collaboration

10 comments:

  1. I see the big dipper. :)
    What a wonderful idea, to have the kids actually able to figure out a constellation. You can bet they were looking up at the night sky more often after enjoying their cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this. I can't wait for Aodhan to become interested in space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Those are really wonderful... and they make me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so fun! What a special cupcake, so personal! Would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2012/02/to-go-with-my-new-wreath-i-also-made.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Show & Tell! These are sooo adorable - you've been pinned!!! :) New follower of your blog.

    ~Bekah @SonshineTotSchool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. so fun, and I love that you did actual constellations, I so would have done random things and told my kid they were real;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an amazing job! Thanks for sharing!

    Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. super cute! it's like starry night on food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's too cool! I'll have to remember this when my son studies it at school! Thanks for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fantastic. I am featuring these for a space party roundup if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.