Monday, January 2, 2012

Wire and Bead Bows and Ties - Gift Wrap Tutorial

I made some Peas in a Pod necklaces for several people this Christmas.  As I've mentioned several times...I'm trying to venture out and do a better job wrapping gifts attractively, and I wanted to try to do something that would match a little.


I've gotten a couple things from Maile of  Boutique Academia, and every time they come in a little brown jewelry box with a classy wire bow.
I'm not sure how she does it...but this was my inspiration...and I was reusing the same box. :)

I wasn't sure I could pull off a neat little bow, so I started simpler.  Here's what you'll need...besides of course the gift and box to wrap.


I wrapped the wire around the box, the way you would if you were using ribbon. I cut off a piece of wire, longer than I thought I would need, centered it on the front of the box, and wrapped it around to the back.

On the back, I pulled twisted it around a couple times to make sure it would hold, and then brought it around the other side to make a cross shape.

Then I brought the wire back to the front of the box, and twisted it around a couple times.  It may be helpful to use some needle nose pliers when twisting to really get it snug.  I also pulled it around the first wire to keep them all together.

Then I threaded a bead on...

...and trimmed the end...next time I'd probably leave the ends just a tad longer.

And twisted the end around a large yarn needle.  I liked the little swirls it made and they also keep the bead from falling off.

Repeat for the other end of the wire...
...and you're done.


For a little variety...and because I only had a couple of the little boxes, I also tried sewing up a little fabric bag.
I wrapped the necklace in a little scrap of fleece to keep it padded, and tucked it inside.

Then I wrapped some wire around the bag to hold it closed, and used some needle nose pliers to twist it tight.
This time I decided to try a bow.  I wrapped the wire around my finger to make half the bow.  Then I twisted that loop around itself to make it stay.

Then I did the same thing for the second loop of the bow...so the loops aren't really tied together the way they would be if you were using ribbon.
Then since my loops weren't quite matching, I added a few beads to dress it up a bit.  I added the beads the same way as for the box...thread the bead on, twist it around a large yarn needle, and trim.  I liked the ends being two different lengths.
That's it...

If you'd like to make a Peas in a Pod Pendant of your own...I'll have the tutorial up first thing next week, so stay tuned!


Please show my sponsors some love...
Eiffel Tower Pendant from Lily and Oak
Girl with the Savior Print from Shirleen Bland's Art Studio
Binary Love Pendant from Boutique Academia


8 comments:

  1. So cute! And I am excited for the peas in a pod tutorial. I have wanted one of those necklaces for a while.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bead wire? What a great idea! These look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that necklace! Micah really liked it a lot too. I was surprised, since he's a guy and all but I think he gets a little sentimental when it comes to anything 'Baby L and family growing' related :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Very creative!! I am having a Feature Friday Linky Party and would love for you to link this up.

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/01/feature-friday-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for the Peas in a Pod Pendant Tutorial!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable and cute! I can't wait to see the Peas in a Pod tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable. Thanks for sharing. I made wire bows myself, but for a bracelet. Never thought about using it for gifts.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin
    P.S. Found you through the http://www.fingerprintsonthefridge.com/ Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! What a unique idea. I'll definitely be doing this. Looking forward to that pendant tutorial also!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.