Friday, February 4, 2011

Block City - Book & Activity

I've got a couple projects I'm super excited about (like this project is DONE and turned out AWESOME! )...but I don't have good enough pictures yet to do them justice...so I'm sharing a fun children's book with you instead.


I brought home Block City by Robert Louis Stevenson and illustrated by Daniel Kirk from the library.  I was drawn in by the illustrations and knew the kids were getting a nice set of colorful blocks for Christmas.  (Found the blocks at the Goodwill Black Friday sale for $1...nice!)

The story is wonderful and Little Brother really related to it. 



The little boy in the poem builds a truly amazing Block City and then imagines he's a part of it. 

I think my favorite part about the book though, is that in the end, the boy has fun knocking it over.

Because that's what happens to every block building at our house. 

After reading it, Little Brother and I built quite a few block buildings and then knocked them down, so we could build them over...

...and over.
And it was also a fun chance to play with our new camera...on a day when it was actually bright and sunny outside.  I can't remember if I mentioned it...or if you noticed that the general quality of pictures on my blog improved around December...but we got a new camera...and it's fun.

And as one last note...I get asked a lot when I find time to do crafts and things...if you look closely, you can see the pile of laundry hiding on the sofa.  This was taken on a "clean" day, and I think that particular pile of laundry ended up being there for about a week. 

4 comments:

  1. We have that book! There was an in-home daycare next to the house we rented last year, and she was getting rid of tons of books and toys and gave them to us - this was one of them! I do love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun times. What a wonderful price for the blocks! Is the author the same Robert Lewis Stevenson that wrote "Treasure Island"? I hadn't heard of this title before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so fun! We drew a little "charlie" on one of his 6,000,000 blocks and now when charlie builds he has to search through them and find it so it can sleep in the block castle.
    hahaha don't you hate it when you go to post a photo and realize what is in the background!? I do it daily. It's hard to get a kid to stop being cute for a few minutes so I can clean the room first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to look for this book!

    My laundry sits in the dryer, on the couch, or on my bed FOREVER it seems! Thank goodness for a wet towel and the dryer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.