Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Wedding Quilt - Great Gift Ideas

This was definitely the biggest gift I made for anyone in the family this year. 


My sister Maleena got married over the summer (remember her wedding gift here).  She had these beautiful and simple table runners at her wedding reception made from bright pink and orange cotton fabric.  (This is my Granddad helping set up.) 
As we were cleaning up, I asked my mom what her plans were for them.  They didn't have any, so I snatched them up.  Lucky for me, we drew Maleena's name for Christmas, so it gave me a deadline to use them.

The strips were of similar widths, but not exactly the same. This is basically what I had to start with.

I wanted a traditional quilt pattern, but with a contemporary twist because that's what Maleena's personality is like.  I settled on this modified log cabin design because it satisfied those things and was really quick to put together (for a queen sized quilt top anyway.)  It has one central rectangle with two sets of log cabin strips around it to make a rectangular block.  If you want to try out quilting, a log cabin quilt is a good place to start...the pattern is very forgiving.

I got the top sewn together a month or so early, but then got kind of stalled.  My mom was an angel an helped me get it layered and quilted on her visit up just before Christmas.  I have quilting frames, but with all the Christmas stuff out in the house and the garage so cold, we improvised.  Instead we used our kitchen table instead of a quilting frame, which worked okay for this quilt since the pattern was so simple and the colors so bold. 

It was hard to get a good picture of the whole quilt before we sent it off to Maleena because it was so big, but here it is on her bed at their Christmas cabin.  I'm so glad she liked it!

I'll be linking to:
Gwenny Penny - Point of View

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! I love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited with Maleena last night and she was telling me about this much loved Christmas gift, I'm glad to see it here. great job Poly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wedding Gifts funny Wedding Cake Toppers Bride PINCH Groom BUTT Sexy Frugality runs in my family.I had a request for a card for a wedding this week .I remembered the wedding colors included burgundy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! My sister has about 20 squares of fabric that are just sitting in closet from her wedding day. Every now and then a piece is used for a project, but at this rate they will be in the closet forever. I will be passing along the idea!

    Thanks for linking this to Point of View!
    Jonie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.