Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fun Flower Applique with Printable Pattern

I didn't know what to call this other than "Fun Flower."  I don't know if it's a particular kind or some brand logo or what.  All I know is appeared on a shirt from Goodwill that I refashioned to make this a while back.

I'm still working on a tutorial for the capris.  It's one of those projects, that I want to make sure the tutorial is right because I think they're such a great idea...which unfortunately means you have to wait.  Sorry.  While you're waiting, though, I've got the printable for these fun flowers (or if you have a better name, let me know!)

Anyway, scanned the flower on the shirt onto my computer by using my scanner, similar to this method.  I've added the printable at the bottom of this post.

First, you'll need to trace the design onto the papery side of some Heat'n Bond Lite or similar product.  Then leave the paper on the biggest part of the flower and assemble it.  I would should have sewn the yellow flower onto the purple background before moving on...but I forgot.  It will turn out well either way.
Then I ironed it onto the fabric for the capris BEFORE sewing the leg seems.  If you want to add these to pants that are already assembled, you may need to take out one of the side seems, sew your applique on, and then re-sew the side seem.  (You can see a tutorial for that here.)
Now sew them on to secure them with coordinating (or contrasting) thread.  (Note:  I have used knits that don't fray.  If you use woven fabric, you will either want to use a satin stitch and/or apply some Fray Check or similar product to the edges.  I leave the ends long...
...so I can pull them through to the back to secure them instead of tying extra knots.
And you're done!  This is what your appliques will look like after they've been washed and worn a couple times if you use knits.

6 comments:

  1. Those remind me of the psychedelic hippy flowers that were popular in the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have a way with the applique! Thanks for all the great tutes and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten hooked on applique! Such and easy way to liven up anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun way to jazz up clothes! I love applique projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flowers... so fun loving!

    Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really cute! I'll have to try using knits for applique. I love the look of the slightly curled edges!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.