Friday, February 12, 2010

Felt Orange Peel - (Oranges Part 2) - Felt Food Cook-Along Day 22

This tutorial is just for the orange peel, so if you want to know how to make the wedges, yo'll need to click here.  For the peel, I thought of using a ball pattern, lining it, and then leaving one side open.  I saw a link on Homemade by Jill to this fabric ball pattern from Grand Revival Design and thought I'd try it out for making my orange.  I used the smallest of the three sizes in the pattern for making the peel.

Materials: orange and white felt, pattern from Grand Revival Design at link above, and all the regular sewing stuff...sewing machine highly recommended.



You'll need to cut out 6 wedges each of white and orange from the smallest size on teh Grand Revival Design fabric ball pattern.  (Link above).

Sew the orange wedges into sets of three using approximately a 1/4 inch seam.  (I used the side of my presser foot as a guide.) 
Sew the two havles together, leaving most of one side open.  (I sewed just past the place where all six wedges meet.
Repeat with the white wedges, but sew, with a slightly larger seam allowance (about 3/8 inch).  This will make the white ball just a tad bit smaller, which you want since it will fit inside your orange ball.

Turn the orange ball WRONG SIDE OUT and the white ball RIGHT SIDE OUT.  Put the white ball inside the orange ball, so that RIGHT SIDES are together. 
Sew the openings together, leaving an opening big enough to turn your orange peal right-side out.
Trim excess material in the seam allowances. (Not pictured...I mostly trimmed the parts at teh top and bottom where all 6 wedges come together.)  I also cut some notches in the seam allowances.
 Turn right side out.
Slip stitch the opening closed by hand.
Fill with orange wedges.
And enjoy!

If you're just now joining us, the links to other felt food tutorials I've done are at the top of the right side bar.  Also, if you've made some felt food of your own, be sure to
share your link here, and grab a button to let other people join in on the fun!





















3 comments:

  1. Very clever! I love the idea of an orange you can peel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever. It was fun to see how you did that. That's a big orange in Boy's hand! I'll bet he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the cutest felt food item ever. SO. CLEVER. I love it! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you. I also love responding, so please make sure your Blogger account is set up for me to be able to see your email address or include your email address. I've had to stop accepting anonymous comments due to spam. If you don't have any other way to comment, you can always send an email.